William James

William James
We must get by on what truth we have today, and be willing to call it error tomorrow.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

On Ian McKellan Defacing Hotel Room Bibles

The comment was made:

"Sir Ian McKellen's penchant for ripping out pages of the Bibles he finds in hotel rooms has caught on - fans have started sending him sections of text they've removed.

The openly gay Lord of the Rings star tears out a section of Leviticus, which condemns homosexuality, whenever he finds the good book in hotel suites - and his small-scale vandalism has inspired others to do the same.

He tells Details magazine, "I'm not proudly defacing the book, but it's a choice between removing that page and throwing away the whole Bible.

"I got delivered a package of 40 of those pages... that had been torn out by a married couple I know. They put them on a bit of string so that I could hang it up in the bathroom."

Book burning light, I guess. He doesn't burn books he finds disagreeable, he just defaces them."

To which I responded:

I do not condone the destruction of property as long as reasonable alternatives exist to have civil and open debate on a topic such as biblical condemnation of homosexuality. I think Mr. McKellan has other options, and that it is wrong for him to destroy these books without compensating the hotels to replace them. (the fact that millions of people consider the books to be holy objects is of no consequence) That being said, I sympathize with homosexuals and the difficulties/bigotry/hatred which they face, primarily from lessor educated, narrow minded individuals, and I do believe that certain biblical passages such as those in Leviticus have been invented and interpreted by people to support bigotry. This is a classic example, in my opinion, of the problems of accepting the Bible as inerrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment