William James

William James
We must get by on what truth we have today, and be willing to call it error tomorrow.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

On The Eternal Nature Of God

The comment was made:

"On another thread (another board) someone was talking about how the church continues to change. The idea was that God never changes…I posted this which just disappeared.

Quote

A God who once demanded animal sacrifice and then did not. A God who supported stoning of Adulterers and then did not. A God that called for the death of an entire culture through Saul and then a God who is tolerate of all people. A God who once favored just one race of people and declared himself their God and no other and now the God of all. A God who once denied the Priesthood to all but one tribe and who now allows it for all. A God who once allowed polygamy in the OT, but seems to condemn it in the new. A God who indentifies himself as the "God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" all polygamist, and now condemns any who do so. A God who still claims that if we accept him we become the seed of Abraham, yet Abraham turned out his wife a child to die in the desert. Don't even go there.

I put it back...see how long it lasts now."

To which I responded:

Because I believe in the principle of eternal progression, I feel I must also take the view that God is constantly changing, not in his fundamental nature, but rather in ever-so-small increments as he continues to increase in knowledge (I abandoned any belief in God's absolute omniscience long ago), glory, etc. That said, I don't believe that my model of the type of change God continues to undergo is an adequate explanation for the discrepancies in doctrines over time. A far more persuasive explanation is that these changes are not a result of God changing, but rather of MAN'S PERCEPTION OF GOD changing. Because I consider this principle to be so obvious, I have long believed that scripture should not be the end of our inquiries about either morality generally or the nature of God. Any doctrine which cannot withstand the scrutiny of critical thinking is subject to being disregarded, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment