William James

William James
We must get by on what truth we have today, and be willing to call it error tomorrow.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

On The Claim That God Loves Those Who Keep His Commandments More Than Those Who Don't

The comment was made:

"God Doesnt Love All His Children; only those who obey commandments?

John 15
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Fatherâ??s commandments, and abide in his love.
11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

does any one have any other scriptures?"

To which I responded:

It is often said that "God is love." While I have difficulty accepting this in a literal sense, it has metaphorical value. God is no respecter of persons and will love us forever no matter what we do or how badly we screw up. When we sin, we distance ourselves from God and make it more difficult for ourselves to feel God's love. But he loves us no less.

It is not right for us to get caught up in imagining that our adherence to God's commandments makes us more loved by God than he loves those who are less righteous. God sees us for what we will eventually become, and in my personal opinion, we will probably ALL become like God one day; it is merely a matter of time. Eternal progression applies to everyone, and I don't believe that anyone will ever be at a point where they will forever stop the process of eternal progression.

No comments:

Post a Comment