William James

William James
We must get by on what truth we have today, and be willing to call it error tomorrow.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

On The Propriety Of Publicizing Secret Temple Ceremonies

The comment was made:

"I don't know if it is true, but word on the Internet is that Big Love is going to show a temple ceremony next episode. We'll see if it happens. If so, and depending on what it shows, I really think this is a bit over the line. We'll see."

To which I responded:

I agree that for anyone who considers themselves bound by a covenant to keep the temple ceremony secret, that person revealing it on a publicly broadcasted television series would be stepping over a line. But for a non-believer, it is simply free speech. As I would not advocate a law that would make it illegal to publicize a cartoon making fun of the prophet Muhammed, so I would also not advocate a law that would prevent someone from disclosing or depicting the LDS temple ceremony, especially if the purpose were to debate church doctrines. Respect for someone else's religious beliefs does not, in my opinion, require us to refrain from having a full and complete debate about those religious beliefs, including debate about any religious ceremonies or rituals, even if secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment